At the site of the former coronations and funerals, today we can find the highly ornate sarcophagus of St. Stephen and the wall-painting of Vilmos Aba-Novák depicting the Holy Right and the Holy Crown.
The church was first mentioned in 1031. The three-aisled building with four towers was the coronation church of the Hungarian Kings, 38 kings were crowned here in the middle ages. St. Emeric, who died suddenly and tragically, was buried here. His father, St. Stephen, founder of the Hungarian state, had built to be his own burial place. After this 14 Hungarian kings and several royal family members found their final resting place in this church. National assemblies were held in this place, the royal throne was here, the national treasury was kept in this place as well as the national archives, the crown, the sceptre, the sword and the coronation robe. It was destroyed in an explosion in 1601 and its stones were gradually taken to be used in new buildings. The archaeological excavations started in 1862 still continue to this present day. The area was formed, excavated and presented in 1938 which was the 900th anniversary of the death of St. Stephen. The mausoleum and archway that can still be seen today was built according to the plans of Géza Lux. The sarcophagus, which held the remains of St. Stephen was also placed in this area.
|Address:||Székesfehérvár, Koronázó tér|